How many times has someone else ruined your day? They didn’t do what you thought they should do. They didn’t compliment you when you thought you deserved it. They looked at you the wrong way. They didn’t pick up after themselves. Basically every one else is ruining your life!
I keep using the word ‘your’ but I am actually talking about myself.
It’s amazing how easy it is for someone else to impact my life. I don’t know where along the line this because such a huge problem for me, but it has.
Basically, I just think other people should know how to act. Simple.
Well, it’s not so simple in reality, now is it?
When I change the way I view others and take back the power they have over my life, I am happier. I am in control of myself and my reactions.
- Should I choose to not let someone else bother me, that’s just that: they don’t bother me.
- Should I choose not to be emotionally invested in someone else’s drama: I’m not in the drama.
- Should I take responsibility for what I want done: it gets done.
- Should I not let someone else’s bad mood be my mood: I’m in control of my own mood.
- Should I not wait on someone else to make me happy: I make myself happy.
- Should I not blame other’s on where I am in my life: I realize I am responsible for my own life.
This is important because when we take responsibility for our actions, we can align better with who we are supposed to be. There’s no more waiting on someone else, or some miracle to be happy. We choose to be happy. We choose how to live out our days. Do we have to stay stuck where we are today? No, we don’t. We can change our circumstance with simple, deliberate choices fueled with positivity.
How can we do that?
To simply start.
Make the conscious effort to change, and start taking responsibility for where you are now and where you want to be. Be realistic, but be deliberate. Pick one thing today that you are unhappy about and do something about it. It doesn’t have to be monumental, major, or life changing. Start small. Is your car messy? Clean it out. Did you eat too much over the weekend? Eat light today. Are you in debt? Don’t spend any money today, and make do with with you have. Little choices add up to the big things in the end. Take back control. That’s what I’m going to do.