The capsule wardrobe has intrigued me for years. I’ve attempted to make one a few times in the past and would just become unmotivated because I never knew where to start.
It’s one of the first things accomplished since I have drastically changed my life this year.
My capsule wardrobe was free: meaning, I didn’t buy any new pieces after I decided to make it. I simply used what was there.
It’s been a few weeks since I began wearing my capsule, and it is so much easier. Everything in my closet is my favorite pieces, my closet is not over-packed, and it all fits well.
When we get rid of the unnecessary and excess, it frees up room to enjoy our best. Whether it be our clothing, trinkets, emotional baggage, waste; the excess weighs us down.
It’s not as scary as it sounds to de-clutter our lives. It takes a lot of work and heart if you are going to do it right. It’s important to understand why you got where you are today and how you want to change.
Since there are a bazillion websites on capsule wardrobes, I will not bore you with another how-to. Just search it on pinterest or google and you are sure to find a plethora. Or, check out Courtney’s site for Project 333 to get started.
1. It’s a lot of work: But worth it. This task will go a lot faster if you are pretty ruthless. Anything that is too big or small needs to go, anything ratty, your ex-boyfriend’s t-shirt – you got the idea, right? Let go.
2. Match your lifestyle: You don’t need a whole closet full of prom dresses if you shovel shit for a living. Dress for who you are now. Keep items that you absolutely love and match your personality.
3. Don’t spend money: If you are like me, you probably have more than you could ever imagine. Try to make your capsule out of the items you have now. This way you won’t make the mistake of getting back into your old habits of spending money for no good reason.
4. You will love your closet: After everything is purged and it’s all roomy and neat sit back and enjoy the view and freedom.
5. It’s OK: It can be hard because you aren’t used to having a roomy closet. If you just can’t let go immediately, store your unsure items away for a few months. If after your set timeframe you don’t remember what’s in the box – donate.
So, I’m digging my capsule. I’ve already set a few things aside to incorporate for fall so I can mix it up a bit.
Do you have a capsule? If so, I’d love to see if you want to share. Post a pic or link in the comments!