My journey to lo/no ‘poo has been interesting. It’s always a challenge to make a big change in life, and this is no exception. At first, you would think it sounds simple: just don’t wash your hair every day and use natural shampoos. Well, it’s a lot harder than that. Not only the routine itself, but how you get to know yourself in the process.
There’s the whole transition period, where your hair is oily and crazy and pretty much unmanagable.
Then, you have to figure out how to style your natural hair. I’m used to straight; but now I’m a curly girl.
After that, if you are like me, you don’t want to use a blow dryer or heat tools, so you learn to just let your hair be free.
My 3 week update:
- I’m going about 3 days using water-only before using my Burt’s Bees natural shampoo and raw honey rinse. This is leaps and bounds away from my twice-a-day conventional shampoo routine.
- I still let my hair air dry. I scrunch it a little, use some bobby pins if needed, and go about my business.
- By the 3rd day I get a little oily, but I’m OK with it. It’s not offensive and the benefits I’m gaining far out way the process.
My mother and husband both commented yesterday on my curls! Finally someone noticed!
Now, I’m not doing this to gain attention: it’s solely for me. But I made sure not to tell anyone what I was doing because I wanted to focus. I need accountability on some ventures, just not this one. It was just a little too personal and challenging internally and externally for me to be getting other peoples 2 cents.
They both were amazed at how curly my hair was. My husband even asked if I was going to continue because he really loves it!
So, I informed my mother of my no ‘poo venture. Of course she was supportive and had lots of questions. And my husband is finally thankful that I am just leaving my hair alone.
Most importantly: I am happy! My hair does it’s own thing and I am loving the curls. I have also gained so much time in the mornings thanks to my minimal hair routine.
- I am wanting to be able to only ‘wash’ my hair once a week while continuing rinsing in between. I’m trying to be patient.
- I intend on trying the raw apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse at some point.
- I am going to get a better boar bristle brush= lifesaver.
- I am going to be pushing a day out a week in not washing: I’m going 3 days between washing this week and will go 4 days between next week.
Sometimes getting out of our comfort zone pushes us to be our better self. If we are doing something that just isn’t working, it’s time to be brave and make a change.
It’s hard to argue when it’s overall just better, right?
This is the case with my no ‘poo journey. I’m loving it so much. It’s working me inside and out.